Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Why Pale Boys Hate the Beach

So my face has started peeling. I look like Freddy Kruger as Ray so astutely pointed out. I have a sunburn under a sunburn. Is that possible? Maybe I should back up...

I went with Courtney and Dane to Houston to see Clayton (actually, Courtney's mom and sister were going to a wedding in Houston and we tagged along for a free ride). So we swam in Courtney's mom's hotel pool and then had dinner on a boat. Yes, I was on a boat. Yes, like that song. And no I didn't have my flippy floppies. Anyway, we went to Galveston the next day and were very ill prepared.

No towels, swim trunks, sun screen, water, or anything really. Except my beloved iPod. Dane and Clayton bought beach towels and Dane bought some swim trunks. We had a little nerf football to throw around on the beach while Dane swam in the ocean. Courtney and I ate at McDonald's to save money. I know, lame. But whatever. Anyway, I eventually ended up about waste deep in the ocean after I couldn't take the heat anymore. Next thing I know Dane comes bounding out of the waves with his face contorted in several different positions. Turns out, he was stung in the foot by a sting ray. So now, Dane has a painful, bleeding wound on his foot. Courtney, Clayton and I are all burned and sopping wet. And we still had to walk the 2.5 miles back to the car (Oh, did I mention we parked 2.5 miles from our position on the beach? Because we did).

Then we took showers at Clay Ray's hizzy and looked around a giant mall, had dinner brought to us in the theater while we watched Public Enemies at the Alamo Draft House. My giant hot dog was disappointing. Almost as disappointing as Johnny Depp's performance. Ba-zing! Then Sunday we rode three-deep in the backseat to Shrevesburg, which is a 4 and 1/2 hour drive. Yummers. Oh, and Courtney's mom can't see or read road signs. So we had to literally guide her from the back seat. Never again I tell you. Never again.

All in all, it was pretty damn fun. Hard to have a bad time when your with your two best friends and you're getting to hang out with a friend you haven't seen in 7 months. Good times.

My face looks like pieces of a brown paper grocery bag are falling off it. How gross. And it is still pink and hurts! I don't get you nature. Why must you do the things you do? And why do you hate me so much sun? I mean, I'll get a wicked tan, but why such a high price?

I just turned 25. I'm so old. I can feel death's steely, cold hand on my shoulder. A quarter of a century, but I don't feel a day over say, how old I just was. Yeah, 24. That's it. Still, I know that it is supposedly down hill from here. But I am warning everyone now that I will try my best not to let youth out of my kung fu grip. I like doing things and acting silly. It's what I'm good at. I mean, we have to grow up, but just keep your youth on tap. Don't be prematurely old. Don't be Jacob and Lindsay.

No comments: